Sunday, September 2, 2012

Birthday Festivities!

Birthdays in Thailand aren't a very big deal. At work the birthday person pays for lunch for everyone for the day to celebrate. In the weeks leading up to my Birthday I had explained to a few people that in America, or in my family at least, we do things a bit differently. I told them about my homemade birthday cakes, presents, parties, and all my favorite home cooked meals. Leading up to my birthday I wasn't expecting much, but I did tell my host sister that I was making myself a cake (I bought a mini electric oven for about $30) and that she needed to decorate it because it would be bad luck if I did it myself. Most people here have never heard of anyone actually baking a cake,  or even owning one of these ovens. The day before my Birthday I made the cake and had all the kids come over to watch and "help" me. I was also given a purple, flowery, crocheted Thai style dress the day before my birthday from my coworkers. I was told it was my Birthday dress and I had to wear it the next day!

I woke up on my birthday expecting a day like any other. I threw my dress on, skyped with my parents while I opened packages sent from home, ate my yoghurt and went to work. At work everyone yelled Happy Birthday when I walked in and immediately grabbed me and had me sit down. Next thing I know I'm getting my make-up done and my hair is put into elaborate braids. Then I am ushered into the Mayors office and there is a Birthday cake awaiting me. Everyone crowds in, the lights are turned of, they sing me Happy Birthday, and I get to blow out the candles and eat my cake. At lunch time they took me to my favorite restaurant and I was planning on paying for everyone but one of the ladies at the office had given 500 baht for everyone to take me out for my Birthday. I get home from work and my sister comes over right away to decorate the cake. I made chocolate frosting and then buttercream to decorate. We even had a bit of pink food coloring. I taught her how to put the frosting in a plastic bag, cut of a corner and slowly squeeze it out to decorate the cake. Then I went over to my neighbors where we had snacks, soda, and my favorite foods. A bunch of the kids and neighbors came over and when it was time to cut the cake there were over 20 people singing me Happy Birthday. The kids gave me presents like marbles, toy soldiers, and plastic rings. My sister gave me a beautiful purse, and one of the ladies from work gave me a wallet. Overall it was an incredible birthday, everyone put in so much effort to make me feel happy, welcome, and at home on my Birthday. I am so grateful that I was placed at this site, and that I have so many amazing neighbors and friends here in Thailand. Enjoy the Birthday pictures!






 My host sister doesn't speak English so my cake ended up saying happy day instead of Happy Birthday. I think that made it way better! 












No comments:

Post a Comment