Sunday, September 30, 2012

Buddhist Funerals

Last week one of my elderly neighbors passed away. It happened at midnight on a Friday and about an hour later the house was crowded with people cooking and preparing for the next day (or so I hear). I slept blissfully through the night and found out early the next morning when I woke up. Everyone kept telling me it was okay that I hadn't come the night before because I didn't know. The next 5 days and nights hundreds of people came to eat food, listen to insanely loud Thai music, and chant with the monks every night. I went every night and every day that I wasn't at work and was immediately put to work cooking food, serving food, and doing the dishes. Oddly enough being expected to do all of these things made me incredibly happy. I was no longer sitting in a special chair, being served food and water, and being stared at by everyone, I was finally part of the family. I no longer had to follow my host family around like a little lost puppy, I could finally wander around comfortably on my own. No one even asked if I would be coming back the next night, it was just expected that I would be there to help out.

The whole side street was lined with tables and tents, there was a karaoke machine, huge speakers set up along the street, and cars and motorcycles everywhere you looked. The women sit in the back and are responsible for all of the cooking, serving, and cleaning. They also play bingo, sell clothing, and socialize with the neighbors. The men sit in the front and socialize and drink whiskey. Everyone is wearing all black or white. Children are running around everywhere with no supervision. Everyone is laughing, telling jokes, and having a good time. For 5 days and nights I didn't see a single person shed a tear. Everyone in my area is Buddhist and believes that when they die they will be reborn. Someone who was a good person in this life and gave offerings regularly will be born wealthy and healthy, while a not so good person could be reborn as an animal. On the 5th and final day everyone gathered at the house around 1pm and walked in a slow procession to the crematorium to say goodbye to the grandmother and send her off to her next life.

This whole experience made me realize how comfortable I have become here and how well I have integrated into my community. While the staring and shouts of farang will never stop I can accept that as long as I'm still being asked to do the dishes.

In other news, I am leaving for a vacation to Nepal next week! I won't be able to post again until late October, but prepare yourself for some breathtaking pictures of the Himalayas.

No comments:

Post a Comment