Sunday, February 19, 2012

This week all of the PCTs organized a one day English/Life Skills camp for our villages. Around 200 10-12 year olds showed up and we had all different kinds of lessons for them ranging from road safety to nutrition to exercise. Each lesson involved fun activities and a few english words to teach them. My group chose to do an obstacle course and water balloon fight. Our goal was to teach the kids about teamwork and to have a bit of fun. By the end of the day I was covered in a mixture of water and sweat and was exhausted. It was a ton of fun. Two resource volunteers came to help us and they said that at site they host or go to other volunteers camps all the time which are usually around 3-4 days long. They are a lot of work to plan but the kids really loved it and I am excited to do more in the future.


Animal hide drying outside of a wat. An elderly man cuts the animal hide into different animal/human shapes and punches holes into the hides to make beautiful puppet shadows. He is trying to find an apprentice but none of the young people are interested.


A woman making pasins at a festival I went to last night. Everyone wore traditional Thai clothing and there was a parade, music, shows, and lots of food!


I saw these 3 Thai men at the festival, my sister told me they were supposed to be Americans....


Baby elephant in the market. When I walked by he reached out and tried to open my bag! Or that's what I think he was doing anyways. I feel really bad for these elephants, the people hold them still by a hook behind the ear.


View from the restaurant where I ate lunch today. Jealous?

Tomorrow I find out where I will be living for the next two years, and then on Thursday I head to site all by myself for 4 days!


No comments:

Post a Comment