Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Since I am healing from my little accident I didn't spend the weekend traveling like the last few weeks, but I had an awesome time anyways. Saturday was sports day for all the PCTs (Peace Corps Trainees) but I was unable to participate so I had to sit and watch. After that was a bike maintenance session. I don't have a bike anymore so I once again had to sit and watch. My host sister came and picked me up and a bunch of friends biked over to my house. My meh taught us how to make a Thai kanome (snack). We all had individual personal size pumpkins that we took all the seeds out of then made an egg, coconut sugar, banana leaf mixture and poured it into the hollowed out pumpkins. The pumpkins were  steamed on a gigantic contraption over a fire outside the house. Half an hour later we had delicious pumpkin with a creamy custard filling.

Sunday I woke up in the morning to find my Paw setting up chairs all over the yard and hauling huge boxes of sugar and fish sauce out of the garage. Next thing I know people start popping up left and right while I am sitting outside in my pajamas trying to eat breakfast. I rush inside to get dressed and when I come back down the yard is filled with people and my Paw calls me up to the front and hands me a microphone. I introduce myself in Thai and try to explain where I am from and what I am doing in Thailand. The crowd loved it and I felt like a superstar. Right after my little speech I'm whisked away to Tesco Lotus (basically a huge Walmart). We had pizza for lunch with real cheese! I came home and made chicken cacciatore for dinner. This may not seem like a big deal to you but believe me it was. My family has never had Italian food before and I was very nervous that they would hate it. Thai food is incredibly flavorful and either extremely spicy or sweet. My meh and sister watched me cook the whole time and seemed very confused by what I was making. They all claimed that it was delicious but it is hard to say for sure. I did make a ridiculous amount and only a small portion was left for me to bring to lunch the next dayso I suppose that is a good sign.
My Meh eating italian food for the first time! I know her face looks disgusted but I swear it was delicious!

I was planning on adding a few more pictures but they take a long time to upload and I am being devoured by mosquitoes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment