Wednesday, March 20, 2013

I've been avoiding posting for awhile now because I had been having a rough few weeks. I was frustrated at work, feeling useless, and constantly aggravated with a few of my coworkers. I couldn't get anyone to  agree to a project and was told to jai-yen-yen (relax) and just play on the internet all day. I started leaving my office and spending more times at the schools and at the health centers and things have finally started turning around. I have a few projects I am currently working on (sex ed, world map, dengue traps and environmental activities) and have lots of work to do to get these projects ready. None of the projects are actually with my office, but a few of my coworkers help me translate materials and lesson plans. I am still coming into the office regularly, but realized that in order to be productive and happy I needed to branch out a bit more. I am no longer going to sit around waiting for my coworkers to give me the green light on a project. After going through a rough patch for a few weeks I have come out happier and more content than before. I think I had been in a lull before and didn't realize it until things got hard and I had to find a way to deal with it and come out stronger.

Today marks one year at site, and one year until I will be leaving Thailand (assuming everything goes according to plan). It's strange to think that one year from today I'll be saying goodbye to my village and heading to PC offices in Bangkok to check out. I had expected that I would feel excited when I reached the one year mark, but instead I feel kind of sad and nervous. I want to accomplish so much more here and really make a difference, but at the speed projects happen here I don't know how much I will realistically be able to do.  I know that the next year is going to fly by and next thing I know I'll be boarding a plane and heading back to America!

I don't have any exciting stories or pictures to share today, but I promise a whole post full of pictures when March is over. I've been doing an activity that another volunteer created taking one picture a day off a list she made, so I promise to upload those once I'm done. I've also been taking pictures of my host moms amazing food that I will post about next week. I hope you are all enjoying the snow while I'm over here suffering through 90 degree nights...

No comments:

Post a Comment