Monday, June 25, 2012

Last week I had two friends come to visit who speak no Thai. While they were here I was translating all day long and was starting to realize how awesome I am at speaking Thai. Then I made two huge language blunders. Instead of saying "my friend wants to have a picture with you" I said "my friend wants to have children with you." The very next day I called someone else the devil. Apparently I'm not quite as fluent as I like to think. I'm a little worried that soon I won't be fluent in English either. I am literally forgetting how to say things and throw in Thai words in the middle of sentences when I am speaking to my American friends. I think in Thai now too and am just waiting to have my first dream in Thai.

Having friends come to visit was great. I got to hang out with people at night, make american food that someone other than myself would enjoy, talk about how crazy my life here is, and share a little bit of my American side with some of my new Thai friends and family. I've still been very busy at work planning my first big program and networking. This week I'm taking a little vacation in Bangkok to see a friend and I couldn't be more excited. It's going to feel good to be in a place where I can blend in with the crowd for a few days.

All photo credit goes to Andy Carlson! 

















No comments:

Post a Comment