Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Songkran!

It's a typical thursday afternoon as I leave the office to bike the 4k back home still wearing my work clothes. The ride home is entirely downhill and as I'm cruising along on my bicycle I suddenly hear shouts of "farang, farang" coming from around the corner. Next thing I know 8 kids jump in front of me, dump a bucket of water on my head, throw a bucket of orange colored water all over my shirt, and smear white paste on my cheeks. The whole ride home there are kids and adults lining the road dumping water on anyone who happens to be riding a bicycle (although I'm pretty sure no one else was that stupid), motorcycle, or sitting in the back of a pickup truck. While the motorcycle riders are defenseless against the water, pickup trucks are packed with people sitting in the back with huge trash barrels full of water that they scoop out and throw on the people lining the streets. The water isn't just regular water, it has big chunks of ice in it so it's as cold as possible when it hits you. In the town all you can see is water of various colors flying through the air as people engage in the most incredible water fight I have ever seen. This doesn't just go on for an hour, or an afternoon, or even a day, but 3 full days of water throwing all over the country. 

This three day festival is known as Songkran and is the Thai New Year. I spent the three days going to wats, dancing, throwing water, and walking in a parade. Oh, and being the official "Miss Songkran" for my village. I am already excited for next years festival and plan to somehow start a massive water fight in the states when I get back home.



The first night of Songkran festival I was a Sao Ramyong. They made me wear that ridiculous red skirt, put on insane amounts of makeup, and dance on a stage in front of the village. Fortunately I danced with a group of women, but they had their moves all choreographed so I looked pretty ridiculous trying to follow along.


Offering we made and brought to the wat in the village. It has money on the sticks on top and bars of soap, rice, chili peppers, garlic, and various other supplies hanging from it. 



Wat we went to at 6am for a ceremony. In this picture the monks are walking by with bowls and everyone throws rice from their own bowls into the monks bowls. The night before we went I  asked what I needed to wear to the wat and my family said anything that covers your knees. I then specifically asked what color shirt and they said any color. I was the only one not wearing white, once again. I really can't figure out why they refuse to tell me what color shirt to wear so I don't look like a fool all the time.


My family trying to teach my how to wrap the snacks we made in banana leaves. I failed miserably so they decided to go get my camera and take pictures of me struggling.



Water fights in the streets of Phayao.


My host sister and I dressed in traditional Northern Thai clothing for the parade. I'm not sure why I had to wear makeup and they did my hair since the second we stepped out of the car a bucket of water was dumped on me.


Leading a parade. At this point I am completely soaked and I have various colors of some type of past smeared on my cheeks. People all along the way bowed before me and then dumped ice water on me. I was completely defenseless since I had to carry a sign in one hand and an umbrella (not for the water for the sun) in the other hand. I have to admit it was incredibly fun and I can't imagine a better way to walk in a parade.


One of the fire trucks along the parade route that sprayed water on us as we walked.

No comments:

Post a Comment