Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Finally in Thailand!

After a long and uneventful 24 hours of traveling I have finally arrived in Thailand! We were greeted at the airport with leis made from beautiful fresh flowers and then were immediately sent through customs and on to buses which drove us straight to the hotel. It was 85° when we got here, in the middle of the night, and this is supposed to be cold season? We didn't get to the hotel until after 3am and then had to be at training by 9:30am. Training involved getting rabies and japanese encephalitis vaccines and a big medical kit and medical books from the Peace Corps Medical Officers. We also heard more about how to dress riap roy (appropriate and complete) and then learned how to wai when you greet someone. Just to give you a little taste of the language this is how you say "hello, my name is kayla, what is your name?"  Sawatdee Ka, di Chan Chuu Kayla ka, kun chuu a-rai ka. And to make matters worse you have to make sure you use the correct tone with certain words too. It's certainly going to be a challenge to say the least.

The rest of the week is full of more training, bike rides, more shots, and then on Sunday moving to our homestays. My whole blog is in Thai right now and I can't understand any of the buttons so hopefully I can figure out how to switch it to English.. it took me a very long time just to figure out how to post something. The hotel I am at has free wifi which is pretty awesome so I will be able to update more later and include some photos if I can remember to take some!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Kayla glad you made it safely, and you sound like you are adjusting to your new life. I think your Moms tears have slowed or she just plain ran out of them...
    Looking forward to hearing more about what's happening in Thailand.
    love to you,
    The Moores

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kayla,
    I am glad you arrived safely. Let's hope that you'll have Internet in your new home ( maybe even running water:) )
    I can' wait to see the pictures, it should be beautiful

    Good luck

    Benjamin Bronfin

    ReplyDelete
  3. lololol you can't figure out how to switch the language to english. typical. So excited for you! I can't wait to hear more updates from Thailand!

    LOVE BECCA!

    ReplyDelete